SITE LISTINGS :
- CDC - Folic Acid
- Education and training information about folic acid and its uses, benefits, dosages. Includes new Information, assistance, materials and references for health professionals, FAQ to educate women of childbearing age on the importance of consuming 400 micrograms of folic acid everyday, newsletters to increase communication between the CDC and state and community health agencies working to decrease the incidence of neural tube defects by increasing folic acid consumption among women of childbearing age.
http://www.cdc.gov/node.do/id/0900f3ec80010af9 (Added: 15-Apr-2005)
- CERHR: Folic Acid
- Overview of folate and folic acid, neural tube defects (NTD), spina bifida, and naturally occurring sources of folate, mostly from a document by Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
http://cerhr.niehs.nih.gov/genpub/topics/folic_acid-ccae.html (Added: 15-Apr-2005)
- Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Folate
- National Institutes of Health'S fact sheet providing consumer information on folate and its food sources, dietary reference intakes, causes, signs and symptoms of folate deficiency, pregnant and folate consumption, folic acid and cardiovascular disease, cancer, caution about folic acid supplements, health risk of folic acid overdose.
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/folate.asp (Added: 15-Apr-2005)
- Doctorsforadults.com: Folic Acid
- Covering information on the importantance of folic acid in the prevention of neural tube defects (NTDs), spina bifida and anencephaly, recommended amount to prevent spina bifida and other neural tube defects, convenient ways to get enough intake of folic acid, other health benefits to taking folic acid.
http://www.doctorsforadults.com/topics/dfa_folic.htm (Added: 15-Apr-2005)
- Folic Acid
- Folic acid fact sheet offering details on the functions, health benefits, dosage, sources, deficiency and overdose symptoms of this vitamin.
http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/folic-acid.php (Added: 15-Apr-2005)
- Folic Acid
- Folic acid article covering information on health benefits, uses in preventing birth defects, label information, detailed food sources, menu suggestions with samples for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack.
http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/folic/1335.htm (Added: 15-Apr-2005)
- Folic Acid
- Professional review including information on the functions, food sources, causes and symptoms of deficiency, Pregnancy complications of inadequate folate intake, toxicity and drug interactions, and recommened daily intakes of folic acid.
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/fa/ (Added: 15-Apr-2005)
- Folic Acid Calculator
- Enter the number of servings of each food that you eat in a typical day to calculate micrograms of folic acid. Includes a "star rating" for the amount of naturally occurring food folate.
http://www.citt.ufl.edu/projects/folic/ (Added: 15-Apr-2005)
- MedlinePlus: Folic Acid
- Provides access to a collection of reliable folic acid resources including latest news, product reviews, clinical trials, research documents, and related issues.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/folicacid.html (Added: 15-Apr-2005)
- National Council on Folic Acid
- An organization dedicated to improving health by promoting the benefits and consumption of folic acid. NCFA is managed by the National Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition through a cooperative agreement with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
http://www.folicacidinfo.org (Added: 15-Apr-2005)
- Risk Assessment: Folic Acid
- Folic acid risk assessment documents, including information on biotin chemistry, natural occurrence, occurrence in food, food supplements and medicines, recommended amounts, analysis of tissue levels and folic acid status, non-nutritional benefits, function, deficiency, interactions, absorption and bioavailability, distribution and metabolism, excretion, and toxicity. [PDF]
http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/evm_folicacid.pdf (Added: 15-Apr-2005)
- Vitamin B9 (Folic Acid)
- Features information on the medical uses of folic acid in the treatment and/or prevention of birth defects, miscarriage, heart disease, Alzheimer's disease, osteoporosis, depression, cancer, cervical dysplasia, inflammatory bowel disease, burns, and male infertility.
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/VitaminB9FolicAcidcs.html (Added: 15-Apr-2005)